Last Updated: 22 February 2018
The electronic version of this policy is the approved and current version. Any printed version is uncontrolled and may not be current.
Protecting your privacy and confidentiality is fundamental to the way we care for people.
- The Salvation Army (being the unincorporated worldwide religious and charitable association);
- The Salvation Army (New South Wales) Property Trust;
- The Salvation Army (Northern Territory) Property Trust;
- The Salvation Army (Queensland) Property Trust;
- The Salvation Army (South Australia) Property Trust;
- The Salvation Army (Tasmania) Property Trust;
- The Salvation Army (Victoria) Property Trust (ARBN 143 615 169 Incorporated in Victoria);
- The Salvation Army (Western Australia) Property Trust; and
- any organisations or bodies corporate owned or operated by any of the bodies above.
|11. How you can contact our National Privacy Officer|
The Salvation Army performs many functions and provides a wide-range of services and programs across Australia. We will only collect personal and sensitive information that is necessary for us to carry out these functions and provide these services and programs. The type of information we may collect, hold and use, varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected (as set out at paragraph 4 below) but may include (amongst others):
Supporters: as a supporter of The Salvation Army’s mission and activities, we may need to collect your name and contact details. As a valued financial supporter of our fundraising activities, we may also need to collect your bank account or credit card details.
Service recipients, program participants or clients of our other services: as a recipient of, or participant in, one of our many services and programs (such as aged care, recovery, welfare, employment assistance, social or other services and programs), we may need to collect your name and contact details, information regarding your health, income status, religious beliefs, ethnicity and emergency contact details.
Customers: as a customer at one of our many stores, we may need to collect your name and contact details at the time of purchase or in connection with your donation of goods.
Personnel: as an officer, employee, volunteer or member of The Salvation Army, we may need to collect information about your name and contact details, bank account and taxation details, qualifications, previous experience and emergency contact details.
How we collect and store personal and sensitive information varies depending on the purpose for which it is collected but may include the collecting of:
- copies of your written correspondence with us;
- copies of receipts and/or transaction records in relation to your financial support of our fundraising activities;
- copies of your application form, request for assistance and/or other associated documents (including documents generated during your participation in a program with, or otherwise during your interactions with us) and information that you may provide to us in relation to one of the many services and programs we offer; and
- copies of your volunteer agreement or employment agreement and any associated documents and information you provide to us in connection with your volunteering for or employment with The Salvation Army.
We may keep copies of the above documents (in physical or electronic form, at our election) as is necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. All personal and sensitive information is securely stored at all times by us or an authorised external service provider and only authorised people will have access to the above documents and information.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal and sensitive information for purposes necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs. Generally, these purposes include:
- to keep in contact with you as a supporter of The Salvation Army and to inform you about the role and extent of our work and mission;
- to manage our fundraising activities and for taxation record-keeping purposes associated with your donation to The Salvation Army;
- to assess your welfare needs and to provide you with the welfare and community services and assistance we offer;
- to provide you with the necessary care and assistance during your time as a resident of, or recipient of services from, one of our centres or facilities (such as aged care centres, recovery services, crisis accommodation services, etc.);
- to provide you with the services requested by you from us;
- to facilitate and manage your purchase from, or donation of goods to, one of our stores
- to comply with necessary business and accounting standards;
- to comply with our reporting obligations to the Australian Taxation Office and other government agencies and public sector bodies; or
- to facilitate and manage your employment relationship or volunteer arrangement with The Salvation Army.
We are committed to maintaining your privacy and we will only use your personal and sensitive information for a permitted purpose for which we have collected the information.
You have the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym when dealing with us in relation to a particular matter, unless we believe it is impracticable to do so in the circumstances. If you wish to deal with us in this manner, you must tell us in writing so that we can consider if your request is practicable.
If necessary to carry out our functions and provide our services and programs, we may need to disclose your personal and sensitive information to external service providers (such as information technology service providers, legal service providers, mailing houses, call centres, other community service providers, etc.) and other organisations..
We will only share your personal and sensitive information in accordance with your express consent and instructions, subject to the exclusions set out in the Australian Privacy Principles, or in accordance with the specific Privacy Notice provided to you by us at or near the time of collection of your personal and sensitive information.
We do not supply our database information to other marketing organisations not acting on our behalf.
We do not collect any personal information on visitors to our website. We do collect non-personal information that allows us to log information about visitors to our website for statistical purposes, such as:
- the number of unique sessions as identified by server address and top-level domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .org, etc.);
- the number of page hits;
- the pages accessed or downloaded by session;
- the type of browser being used;
- the length of time spent on the site and on particular pages;
- the device being used (e.g. desktop or mobile); and
- the type of mobile device being used (e.g. iPhone 4).
- we have implemented and use Display Advertising;
- we use Remarketing with Google to advertise online;
- third-party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites across the Internet;
- we and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimise, and serve ads based on someone's past behaviour to our website; and
- users can opt out by utilising Google's Opt-Out Browser Add On (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/) and/or Ads Preferences Manager (https://www.google.com/settings/ads/).
The Salvation Army is an international movement with a presence in over 120 countries. While every effort is made to keep personal and sensitive information we hold in Australia only, in order to carry out our functions and provide our programs and services we may need to disclose personal and sensitive information to overseas recipients. In the unlikely event such disclosure is required it will generally involve disclosure to international territories of The Salvation Army and only to the extent necessary to carry out our functions and provide our programs and services.
You have the right to access your personal and sensitive information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to access or seek correction of your personal and sensitive information, please contact our National Privacy Officer at the contact details below. For security reasons you will be asked to put your request in writing.
To enable us to verify your request we require you to advise the following:
- Your full name
- Contact phone number
- The relevant department or service (if known) that your request relates to
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal and sensitive information. While we do not normally charge for providing individuals with access to their personal and sensitive information, we reserve the right to charge you for our reasonable costs in complying with a request for access. These costs will not be excessive.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and upholding the Australian Privacy Principles. If you believe we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles please contact our National Privacy Officer with your concerns at the contact details below.
We take all complaints very seriously and we will endeavour to respond to your complaint and address your concerns as soon as reasonably practicable.
We will notify you in the event your personal information is involved in a data breach that is likely to result in serious harm. This notification will include recommendations about the steps you should take in response to the breach. We will also notify The Australian Information Commissioner of eligible data breaches. Each suspected data breach reported to us will be assessed to determine whether it is likely to result in serious harm, and as a result require notification.
National Privacy Officer
The Salvation Army
PO Box 479 BLACKBURN VIC 3130
Telephone: 1800 961 088 between 9.00am & 4.30pm Monday – Friday